Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday, March 23: Day 34

Today started early - at least early for Chase.  Carissa stopped by around 10:00 am this morning with an intern from Georgia State.  Boy, did I expect him to fuss and try to negotiate his way into sleeping later.  Oddly enough, he didn't.  He was slow about getting up and putting on his shoes and mask, but he did it.  And without his walker!! I am SO incredibly proud of him for putting it to the side.  He's been very dependent on it these past few weeks, so this is a huge move for him to go without it AND not not need to lean on someone else as he walks. 

She asked me if he had told me about walking his laps yesterday.  I just grinned, because Chase made sure I knew about them last night.  I could tell he was very proud of his accomplishment.  He rarely tells me about things like that, so being able to do 10 laps without a walker for the first time yesterday and only leaning on her twice was an incredible step forward for him.  She was obviously proud of him, too.

Oh, and the other dance I forgot about was the lawn mower, which she gladly demonstrated along with the sprinkler and shopping again.  Chase likes all of his physical therapists a lot, but she's his favorite.  I think she's also the toughest, but she has fun with him, too.

She talked about playing dodge ball with him again, which was something I wanted to see for myself.  I threw on some clothes and got my phone to take pictures, but the ball wasn't in the playroom as they thought.  So, I headed toward the family room to get myself some orange juice, but didn't make it that far.  Chase asked me to come walk with him, and then I found myself in a head lock!!  I tickled him and eventually got out of it, plus he needed a cup of water to carry with him, too.  But he got me right back in the head lock again.   The boy is stronger than he looks.

I tried tickling him, but he wrenched his arm even tighter.  Carissa and a few others seemed to get a kick out of him holding me like that.  But I ended up getting the last laugh when I picked him up (like carrying a bride).  Chase was caught very off guard, which I loved!   "I did NOT know she could do that!"  Ha ha ha.  He will probably think twice about putting me in a head lock again.  But once he gains a few more pounds, I will not be attempting that again.  I can just see injuring myself.

Poor Chase thought after his ten laps that he would be home free.  Not so.  Carissa blocked his entrance back into his room and made him do squats.  Even behind his mask, I could tell the kind of look he was giving her.  I think she could, too.  He told her, "I've done my ten laps."  Her reply: "I never said, you ONLY had to do 10 laps."  I just love her!

Once he had finished his squats, he turned around really quick, but once again she beat him to the door and made him do some stretches to work his hamstrings.  Or at least that's what I thought he was working.  Regardless, he did them.  He knows her well enough to not quibble and do what she asks so he can get back into his room.

He was still fussing almost an hour later about how much she made him work and how worn out he was.  He even told his nurse, Katie, that if he didn't drink enough today, she needed to tell Carissa it was her fault.  She wore him out SO much, he couldn't even drink anything. 


Guess who popped into the room less than five minutes later?  Yep, Carissa!  Katie just told her what he said, and the look on his face was priceless.  "What are you doing here?" he demanded.  She said, "I'm all over the place and I can hear everything that's going on."  After she closed his door, he shook his head.  "I SO did not expect her to be out there."


The rest of the day has been pretty low-key.  His fever has stayed in check thankfully.  We are very much hoping that he can be discharged by Friday.  He's been drinking fairly well and ate some mashed potatoes.  A little bit later, he asked what food I had here.  Not finding any of it appetizing, he asked about spaghetti.  Room service makes it, so I ordered that for him, which he ate more than half of! I was surprised, but elated that he ate as much as he did.  He finished his sweet tea and even ate a couple of bites of his strawberry yogurt, too. 


Elyse, the physician's assistant, came into his room around 5:15 and had this twinkle in her eye I don't recall seeing before.  She was smiling really big and said, "I have some great news!"  She then proceeded to tell us that Chase's marrow is 100% his donor's marrow!!! 
Praise the Lord!!
 None of his old marrow - or William's marrow (we could never find out since they're identical), is producing new cells.  It's all from his 38 year-old female donor!! 


First, I had completely forgotten we would get these kind of results at this time.  I was shocked.  I'm glad I didn't know or I would've been on pins and needles waiting for the results!! He still hasn't switched completely over to being B+ blood type yet, but it's definitely ONLY her marrow that is working. 


This doesn't guarantee the possibility of a permanent remission, but from where I sit, 100% at only 34 days post transplant is phenomenal!!  I don't know what the average is.  My mom just told me another boy who is here and had a transplant the day before Chase did is only at 60%.  According to her, the boy's mother said they were told he would need another transplant.  I'm not sure if his was a stem-cell or actual bone marrow.  I haven't met her yet, but I will be keeping them in my prayers.  They certainly have all of my sympathy if he does have to go through another one.  Hearing that news made my appreciation for Chase's engraftment results go soaring high. 


We have truly been blessed!!


I'm going to go ahead and call it a day.  Chase has been napping for a while and he needs to get up and take a bath.  The last thing I need is for him to try and stay up late tonight!!


Still taking things one day at a time!

God Bless!



Oh, these were taken the evening of March 19th.  When he starts mugging for the camera, that's a sure sign of recovery!
This is Chase's "shiny happy" face.  It's one of his signature poses.


And this one?  I'm not sure what I'd call it.  His "sauve" face?
Regardless, he had a good time posing.  And the facial hair was some he has managed to keep up until now.  I'm not sure if it will all fall, but I'm sure he's hoping to keep what's left above his lip.

No comments:

Post a Comment