Friday, March 11, 2011

Saturday, March 5: Day 16


Today began with one of the quietest nights we've had around here in a very longtime. For the past two evening shifts, we've had Kari. I don't recall having her take care of Chase too often, but she has always been so sweet and last night she was a blessing!! Before we settled down, she promised to try and catch the beeps before they happened. I know that isn't always possible because they are so busy with other patients, but I don't recall hearing anything last night. I slept very well and since I didn't hear too much out of Chase either, I'm going to assume he slept well also.

And we have some great news...no fever!!! He's down to 36.7, which is normal. As I write this, he has been fever free for 24 hours! I think the steroid, along with an army praying, has beat down that awful fever. He simply has to feel better. I know it will take another day to regain some more of his strength, but I could already see a difference in him when physical therapy came by to walk him earlier. Although he is still short of breath, he did not require as many breaks while walking as he did yesterday. We still have laps to complete today, but this is a blessing for him to be fever free for the first time in over a week!

He has already asked for some sweet tea today. I don't know why, but he will often hold the cup without even drinking or just hold it after a few sips. He did that today and after a while suddenly woke up because his tea had spilled on him. Apparently, he had fallen asleep in the chair. I think these days, Chase could fall asleep standing up. After I cleaned it up, he made a huge effort to drink more than half of what was left.

I thought he was snoozing again, and then he asked, "You know that movie William and Dad watched?" I nodded and grinned because I could already see where this was going. "Yes, it was Megamind. Do you want me to see if I can rent it?". He nodded. "Do you want me to go now?" Again, another nod.

I wanted to see it myself, so I was more than happy to get it for him. Besides, I haven't left this unit since Thursday, so it was nice to get out for a quick errand. I had to pick up some orange juice anyway. I'm sure Chase will try and talk me into letting him drink some, but that isn't happening until his mouth and throat sores have healed up. Right now, apple juice just tastes nasty to him at the moment.

While I was out, today definitely felt more like a late winter day. It was overcast, a little chilly, breezy, and drizzling. I loved it!! I have significant Spring allergies, so any pollen that can be cleaned from the air is a good thing for me. My sinuses completely agree, too.

When I returned, Chase had truly fallen asleep and was in what appeared to be a very uncomfortable position. I couldn't resist taking a couple of pictures.

The pillow his head is on, was not there prior to the pictures. Beforehand, his head was resting completely on his shoulder. I was getting a crick in my neck just looking at him, which on top of everything else, he doesn't need.

Mildred, our nurse for today, is simply wonderful! I've written about her before, and she never fails to amaze me with her "hustle".  She's take so much time with Chase, making sure she isn't causing him any discomfort, and tells him ahead of time everything she's about to do.  Heck, she even changed his dressing while he was sitting up in the chair. Where it is located, you can't really stand to the side of it very well, so she changed it while virtually leaning over him AND had it done in less than five minutes.  I was impressed to say the least.

But one thing I really love about her is that she listens and acts upon concerns and questions.  Earlier today, she mentioned Chase getting another dose of Neupogen.  I thought he would only receive the three doses and that would be that.  She heard the question in my voice and said she would double-check his chart and ask the doctor to be sure.  That wasn't my intent for her to go and do that, but she did verify it for me.  Mildred also said she listens to parents because sometimes they know more about what's going on than the incoming nurse.  And yes, I have experienced that first hand.  I think Mildred has worked here at Egleston for over 20 years, and in my book she's a gem.  She thanked us for letting her take care of Chase today, but we should be thanking her for her wonderful dedication to her patients.

I think I've mentioned before that sometimes Chase will say some funny things due to the drugs he's on.  Within the past week, I know I've noticed it in particular when he gets Benadryl for blood products or before he's to receive Vancomycin.  A few peculiar things have come out of this mouth this week, thankfully all of them appropriate!

He told Rebecca, "Thank you for the presents."
My Mom was here and said, "What presents?"
He then told her, "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Rebecca." 
Chase started searching in his chair and asked, "Where are the orange caps?"  I had no idea what he was talking about. "The orange caps," he repeated, "The ones off the soda bottles."
Chase has not drank any orange soda since we've been here. 
"William, will you just cut it out!"  - William was not here.
My parents had just left the room when Chase said, "Hey, William is still in the bathroom.  They better not forget him."
I asked him, "Who is in there?"
"William is IN the bathroom."  Again, William had not been here. 
"Where's my food?"
"What food," I asked. "You don't have any food."
"I don't?"
"No. You haven't eaten for days."
"I thought I made myself something."
"What did you think it was?"
"Cereal."
Dawn, the nurse he talked into squirting water at Rebecca back in January, was assigned to Chase this day and was at his bedside when he said "Hey, was'up?"
I knew he couldn't possibly be talking to her.  He got a slight grin on his face and then raised both hands up about equal level, but his fingers were moving.  
-  My best guess is that he had signed onto Xbox Live and was about to play a game. 
I'm going to go ahead and sign off.  It's just after 7:00 pm, I'm hungry, and we have a movie to watch.  Thank you all so very much for your prayers and support. We are anxiously awaiting his blood counts to show up, white blood cells, then for him to have enough to start showing neutrophils.  In the meantime, I'm praying the steroids continue to help him improve and the Neupogen will facilitate his cell production.

Take care and God Bless!

Oh, almost forgot! Last night I finally felt like getting more stuff up on his door. I re-posted two of the signs he had previously ripped down back in January, and I also added a new on along with a cartoon I've had in my head. The sign with his name on it is one I made back a while back. Chase wanted camo, so that's what I attempted to give him. I think some if it looks like worms, but he was happy with it.

Bio-teen...Biotene (the mouthwash).  Get it?
I found some perfect clipart for the mucous and Marrow
Man's face and feet.  He look less like the stick figure
I had envisioned.

This is a bit of advice to other patients on how to
get out of BMT chores.  I'm poking fun at Chase
with this since he's the master at doing this.
This is one of the ones he tore down before.
Good thing all I have to do is re-print it.










I'll get a better pic of this later or a PDF of it.
It's poking fun at Chase again, but it isn't far from
the truth.  Rebecca is featured in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment