Friday, March 4, 2011

Saturday, February 26th : Days +9

Saturday, February 26, 2011

I spent the night at my mom's house last night so I could spend some time with William.  I'd like to say that I got a lot of sleep and woke up feeling refreshed, but honestly that wasn't the case.  Perhaps, my mind was on Chase and wondering how he is doing.  Regardless, I couldn't fall into a nice sleep until well after 3:00 am.  I still woke up on an off, but the rest I did get was at least "beep" free.

However, there were the dogs: Maya and Baxter.  Baxter, the white fluffy one, slept with me, but wanted out of the room when he heard my Dad wake up.

Both dogs were about to have a cow around noon because I wasn't up yet.  I didn't even hear the door open.  All I remember was a 60+lb dog jumping up on the bed, laying down next to me, and promptly turning to her back so I could rub her belly.  And while she was doing that, Baxter was rooting his cold, wet nose up under my arm as he crawled over me.   Eventually, they both left me no choice but to get up.  They ran into the kitchen and promptly started eating, which means neither had touched their food yet.  
William wasn't far behind me.  Since I wait on Chase hand and foot, I fixed William his breakfast.  Nothing fancy mind you, just cereal, milk, and juice, but I was happy to cater to him, and I think he liked it, too.  He, my Dad, and I talked about a few of the articles in the paper before William decided it was time for him to do his own thing.  

After packing up some washing my Mom did for me and re-arranging some items in my bag, I headed up to the hospital.  Mom texted me to say Lowe's called about my dishwasher, so we now have to schedule that for delivery and installation.  In case you haven't heard, the Monday before Chase was to go into the hospital for this transplant, my slowly dying dishwasher decided to quit.  I have already had to replace some of the rack parts myself and was waiting to order additional parts for a different rack that now needed replacing.  I figured by the time I replaced all of the racks and made this service call, I would be paying more than half of what I would for a new washer.  It stinks that this had to happen now of all times, but my folks are helping me out until I'm able to get back to work and pay it off.  At least we'll end up with a dishwasher that will sanitize better (for Chase's sake) and that we can rely on. 

She also texted to let me know they are trying a 50/50 mix of sterile water and hydrogen peroxide.  He can swish and spit small amounts, and they are pouring it over his bottom lip, too which is fizzing like crazy.  I think we are trying something new with his mouth almost daily, but if this helps heal up that mess, then I'm all for it.

When I arrived at Egleston, Chase was asleep.  From what I could tell there was no improvement in his mouth or lips.  Mom had written tons of instructions on the two whiteboards in the room.  I admit it was all a bit overwhelming since so much had changed in the short span of time I was gone.  After following the routine at least once, I was up to speed though.  Frankly, I wasn't too worried about it.  With as many changes as they were making in his mouth care regimen, I did not expect this to be the last of them. 

Chase's fever spiked up to 40 this evening.  That's hovering at 104 degrees.  Whenever his temperature gets that high, I start to get really concerned.  He can't bathe in warm water since that would only make it worse, so one of his nurses pulled in a bathing chair.  He finally agreed to use it.  So, with him sitting in his underwear and shivering, I used warm water and helped get him cleaned up.  I gave him some privacy to take care of the rest.  Then it was lotion time.  He didn't fuss too much about it, thankfully, but the lotion was even colder than ever to him and set his teeth to chattering. I would have loved more than anything to let him skip the lotion, but due to his fever, his skin is really starting to dry out.

That was the last of his chores for the day, so he was then able to go to sleep.  I'm praying for a break in the fever or for at least them to find a cause.  Again, we're taking things one day at a time.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment