Thursday, April 9, 2009

04-08-09 Just nosebleeds

Posted Apr 9, 2009 5:05pm

Dad (David) was on duty yesterday. He and Chase had a pretty good day together. A nosebleed was the only down part to the day thankfully. They attended a Home Depot boat building workshop together. Now that the paint is dry, he can put the sails on it, but I did have one small complaint...he had to go and paint the thing orange and blue!! Gator and Auburn colors!! I'll have to forgive that little transgression given his condition.

The clowns came for another visit as well. Chase remarked that they weren't AS funny on their second visit as they were the first time he met them, but entertaining nonetheless.

He and Dad played chess yesterday. I just asked him who won and he said that he did, and added, "Dad's not very good." Not so sure I want to play him again myself out of fear at what he might say about me!

A couple of friends from work, Scott and Julie came by the hospital to take me out to dinner. Scott's wife recommended this great little place called Wahoo. From the outside it might not look like much, but once inside it reminded me of one of those cool little family restaurants that you might stumble across in Europe. We ate out on the covered patio in view of this great garden area they have. Let me just say first of all that the food was FABULOUS, but even had it not been, the company and ambiance would have completely made up for it. However, the dinner was wonderful, which only made the entire evening all the sweeter!

My parents were here with Chase while I was out. He beat my dad twice at Chess although according to him he was only "trapped" not truly beaten. When I returned, I had a rather large pile of Scout patches that had arrived in the mail. Scott and Julie brought them from work and WOW are they cool!! He had a great time going through them, too. I'll post pictures soon.

After that, Chase got in a mood while I was on the phone and literally attacked me. I was sitting on the sofa and he crawled all over me, putting his hand on my mouth so I couldn't talk and making all kinds of noises so his Dad on the phone couldn't hear me at all. The boy is not only STILL strong, but he's got a distinct advantage because I can't get too rough with him since he's got that central line in his chest! Not a fair advantage. Anyway, he was also getting his fingers wet in my mouth and rubbing them all over my face - gross!! Then he grabbed the phone from me and we ended up playing keep away. By the end, we were both laughing so hard we were crying.

About 2 am he woke up with a pretty bad nosebleed. By the time he realized he wasn't drooling, he had soaked a rather large spot on his shirt. We all thought that perhaps he might have to get the shirt cut off of him, but we managed to get it off of him and it has been soaking in cold water ever since. I think it will be okay. It's one of his favorite shirts, so I know he would really rather not lose it.

Because he (we) went to bed late last night and his sleep was interrupted by the nose bleed, we both slept in today until around eleven. I tried to get him up, but he pretty much refused, saying he wanted more sleep. I finally got him up, but he was NOT happy with me at all. Thankfully a Sprite and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich made him feel better. After eating, we went down to the library and borrowed two movies that we've been watching today.

What is funny is that one of the movies is Anacondas, and both his head nurse and one of his doctors seemed to get a bit caught up in it. You know, it's one of those kind of cheesy "B" movies. He and William love watching them on SciFi and we don't get the SciFi channel here (gasp), which is awful!!!

Anyway, he's in great spirit, enough to still be harassing me while I'm typing this. He though it was really unfair that I could continue to type almost error free even with him covering my eyes with my hair. So much for thwarting my efforts to update his carepage!!

So, that's about it for now. His Bingo night is tonight and I think a couple of his Scoutmasters are supposed to be coming by as well. Sounds like a busy night! I'm headed home to be with William and my mom is coming, too so I can work tomorrow.

Oh, and one last note. The doctors said that typically by now, many leukemia patients have developed fevers and/or some other kind of illness. He said that he is very happy to see that Chase has not at this point succumbed to either. I realize that most likely it will happen, but the more days he is well, the better! Amen!

Thank you again for your continued prayers! I see them working!

The O'Bannon Family

No comments:

Post a Comment