Monday, March 30, 2009

2nd Night on Chemo and Today's Update

Posted Mar 29, 2009 10:30pm

David took night duty last night so I could go to my mom's house and get some sleep and spend time with William (and the pups - Baxter and Maya). It was nice to know that all I had to do was relax and let someone else baby me!! It was also really great to spend some cuddle time with William. I missed him!!

I got reports from David that Chase did exceptionally well last night. He did have a fever of 101, but did not get sick (yeah!!). He did have to get his dressings on his two catheters changed, which he HATES and asks to be knocked out for. They managed to give him some meds that did just that so they changed it while he was out. He also got a sponge bath and his sheets changed as well.

Chase was given MORE platelets, frozen plasma, and a blood transfusion. The clotting (or lack of) has been a concern of theirs, but as of around 4pm this afternoon, he was doing much better in that area so they were able to remove the catheter at his groin!! I know that had to be a huge relief for him because that means two less tubes that are sticking out of him. Now he's down to the chest catheter (two leads) and the original IV in his right arm, which I hope they'll remove soon. No word on that yet.

Before I left my mom's house, I had a bit of a scare with William. He didn't sleep all that well last night because Maya was on the sofa with him and he couldn't stretch his legs out. He came into my room and we pulled out the other mattress for him to sleep on and he slept in with me until 1:00 as well and then laid back down for a short nap after "breakfast". Later, he was on the sofa with a blanket wrapped around him. Those who know William, knows how hot-natured he is. He goes around in boxers and no t-shirt for bed in winter!! I felt his head and he was hot :( Turns out he had a fever of 101.4!! William had also been slightly coughing and had a stuffy nose. Mine was stuffy as well, but when it rains, my sinuses always give me fits.

Fearing that I could be getting something to endanger Chase, I immediately called David and asked him to ask the nurses if it was okay for me to be around Chase. They said yes, as long as I kept on a face mask when I was close by and made sure I washed my hands. So, naturally I can abide by that and have been here since around 5:30.

He finally was able to finish watching Tremors 3 and we started the 2nd LOTR movie, but he was getting sleepy from the nausea meds (a routine precaution). They started his chemo around 8:15 and so far no fever and no sick stomach. We still have quite a ways to go tonight, but so far so good.

We should be in a permanent room tomorrow (keeping fingers on both hands crossed for that). Staying in the PICU has been wonderful, but it will be nice when we can be in a room with some more "relaxed" standards for visitation and food.

I will post when he's got a room number and phone number for the room. I know many of you have offered to help however you can, but up until now our situation hasn't been what I would call stable. Not to mention I haven't really known what to ask for or what I might need. Perhaps after we are more settled, I'll know more.

I would like everyone to consider donating blood platelets, something that all Leukemia patients need. It's a different procedure from actually donating blood. Here is a Red Cross website about it: http://www.givebloodredcross.org/platelets/what-are-platelets/

I think you may be able to donate either "to" Chase or in his name. Platelets, unlike blood donations, can't be stored for long periods of time. They have a shelf life of a week or less. I'm still learning about them. Leslie Roquemore-Goodwin is helping me out by doing some research on it as she had donated for others in the past. I will post more information later that she finds and that what Egleston can provide as well.

Thank you again so very much for your prayers and offers of help!!

God Bless!

Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment