Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 2 of Radiation, Brother Time, and The Weekend

Thankfully, there isn't a lot to report in this post!! Day 2 of radiation went much smoother than the first day. He was only in the room for about 15 - 20 minutes this time. I think it would've been shorter, but they keep having to re-align him on the table. At one point, his technician came out and asked if he had scoliosis. Although he's never been officially diagnosed with it or treated for it, he does have a definite curve in his spine, which he can thank me for, unfortunately. Apparently, the curvature is causing them some issues because his spine isn't straight when he's on the table. I have no idea if his scoliosis will be addressed in the near future or not, but it seems to be coming up as a topic more and more often this go around.

 

Thus far, he hasn't been adversely affected by the radiation. It's my understanding that the side effects are cumulative. They have asked about headaches and nausea, but he hasn't experienced any - praise God! The radiation treatment itself has been taxing on him and has left him rather exhausted. Fatigue can be a side effect, but for now, I think it's the whole experience of the treatment itself that has been wearing him out.

 

Radiation and physical therapy, that is.

 

His two physical therapists came by earlier in the day, before he went for radiation and put him through the paces. He only needed a little bit of assistance to get up out of bed, which was a HUGE improvement, so they have now started to focus a lot on his neck and shoulders. Due to the pain, for months he's really guarded his shoulder and neck area and it's become a bad habit, which they are going to help him break. Breaking habits can mean pain, which it did for him, but pain is also progress.

 

Oh, and he rolled over onto his side in his sleep!!! You might be asking why I'm excited about that? Since his surgery, his neck area has been so sensitive to movement that he hasn't moved much and has needed a lot of assistance getting in and out of bed, even moving around in bed sometimes. Each day, he's gaining strength back, but rolling onto his side is a sign that his neck is able to sustain a different position.

 

Once PT left, he slept until it was time for him to go to radiation because my Mom and William were scheduled to come by for a visit. Chase was really anxious to see his brother and even called to find out when he could expect him. Even though he was tired after radiation, he perked right up when we got back into the room and William was already here. Let me tell you, it was great to see them both together. At that point, my Mom and I were pretty much ignored as the two of them got involved in talking about the games they liked to play on their phones.

 

My Mom and I left to go get dinner for ourselves and give me some time out of the hospital. Not long after we got back, David arrived with BBQ for all of the boys, which Chase had asked for. William can eat quite a bit, but Chase was keeping pace fairly well. Some of the meds he's currently on are increasing his appetite, which I've noticed. But, that's a good thing, too. I'll be happy to see him gain some weight in anticipation of days when he might not feel so much like eating.

 

Saturday started with Chase eating a big breakfast, some neck pain and perhaps some acid/indigestion problems. We were told that he could have some irritation in his throat and GI track due to the radiation, but I think it was a bit too soon for that. Personally, given how much BBQ he ate the previous night followed by a large breakfast, I think it was overindulgence. He's already on a daily dose of Zantac and has been for years, but now they've added another med to help control the acid.

 

The neck pain he's complaining about is centered along the line of his incision. The doctors said this is normal as those muscles beneath it are healing and stretching. They're now giving him Flexeril, which is a class of muscle relaxant, but so far it hasn't affected his bladder. It bothers me to see him on so many medications, each with its own side effects, but I know they serve a purpose. I'm simply looking forward to a day when he isn't complaining of pain.

By the afternoon, I think any discomfort he was in was forgotten when Mr. Costello (known as Mr.C) came by for a visit. He's Chase and William's Social Studies teacher. My heart went out to the man who unfortunately drove to the "other" children's hospital in Atlanta, Scottish Rite, before making his way here to Egleston. Both hospitals are also known as CHOA (Children's Healthcare of Atlanta), so it can get confusing knowing which to go to. I did let him know that he wasn't the first person to drive to the wrong one. Or the first person to go up the wrong elevator once he got here. But once he made it to the room, I might has well not have existed. The two of them started chatting and before long were geeking out on playing games on their phones. I do have to say that he plays his games quite elegantly - notice his pinky finger.

 

Easter Sunday was rather calm around here. Chase got an unexpected visit from his cousin, DJ and his wife. They chatted for quite some time about historical stuff, which made his day I think. Anytime he can engage someone in history talk or WWII, it's a good day.

 

And...he got a bath!! For that we were ALL excited. I knew a bath was going to be a challenge and he would've had one FAR sooner had he not had some recurring pain issues that needed to be dealt with. Plus, up until yesterday, he needed my assistance to get out of bed. I was SO happy to see that he didn't need me to get up. He was slow and careful, but he did it!! To be honest, I'm not sure what finally got him in the bath. Was it the biscuit that he so wanted to eat or the potential threat of Rebecca giving him a devil of a time? I think it was both. That's what I just love about her and the impact she's had on him. Even though he hasn't had the pleasure of her being his nurse yet while we've been here, her "specter" still has power. **Cue evil laugh**. Hey, if it works....run with it. I, and everyone else, can now freely inhale around him.

 

So, today (Monday), he has radiation at 1:30 and we also wait to hear what his oncologists have to say about him and his progress. He does not have to remain here at Egleston for his next 10 radiation treatments. Given that, the question right now is when they might discharge him. When I last spoke to Colleen, the head Aflac nurse, she said "early this week". That would be wonderful!! We'll pray that today goes smoothly and that his pain is managed so he can at least go home, sleep in his own bed, and see the dog he misses!

 

Thank you for the continued prayers!!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment